Now it was time to paint, but I think I mentioned that down below, so...onto stripping the floors of linoleum. Boy it must have been very popular around the 1920 -1930. It's nice to see all the different patterns but they were all cracked and ruined. I would have loved to keep them, but it was not to be. We still have an intact piece up in the attic but couldn't get it down. They used a type of black tar as a glue or something to keep the linoleum down but as you can imagine the hell of getting it off was horrendous. I seriously had overalls that could stand up in the corner. It was a mess and the hardest thing so far. The wood underneath we knew as original by the large wood floor planks. I was relieved and happy. It made me go back in time and look at the wood closely. There was burn marks where I figured a lamp took a tumble or something close to it. If and when we sand them down they'll be beautiful.
The kitchen was the first room I really went to town on. It had ancient circa 1970 cupboards that were dirty, grimy... I took the cabinet fronts off up top and left the bottoms on. I scrubbed everything down and painted the cupboards a light sea foam green. Once that was done, I decided to rip off all the wallpaper. I was looking at ten foot ceilings, so I had to teeter on a ladder most of the time. What a mess. OMG. I could't believe the amount of sanitis they used and I had to get it all off. It took several days (long days) to strip it all down. Layer after layer. It was interesting to see the designs from different decades as I made my way to the bare wall. When i was done with that, I painted the kitchen in a cream color and we put our vintage items out. Oh, I should mention that we had running water at this point. (No more water bottles) and we also had electricity. How our ancestors survived without electricity, water, or technology is beyond me.
The first day in the light of the sun, we looked around a bit more. How fun it was to figure out what we were going to with all the rooms, after painting them of course. I tried to keep to beach colors. We turned one of the bedrooms into our bathroom with a claw foot tub of course.That was painted in a very light blue. The other bedroom was turned into my craft room which I painted white. We left two of the bedrooms to actually be bedrooms and one was painted a very dull yellow and our bedroom is painted creme color. We let the girls have a choice of bedrooms. One chose the one next to us and the other daughter chose the other bedroom one step down from us. So fun. Even if we are scared out of our wits at night, it was starting to feel a bit more like home...to me anyway.
The first night in the house was daddy's idea of a fun "outing." The girls and, I um,,,not so much. We were cuddling all night long. When daybreak finally greeted the changing of the guards. Night no longer had it's grip on us and with the light of sun shining through the windows we could fee a bit braver. Daddy got us all a breakfast from McDonalds and me a very large cup of iced coffee. Now here's where it goes from there.
How to survive in large house built around 1848 or so with no running water. Well, we bought the gallon sized waters, shampoo, and took showers in the tub. After that we did some more investigating. May May has pics I'm pretty sure of the house before we started working on it. For God's sake the living room was painted a bright neon green. I'm like "say what!" Every room was painted a different color. Bright neon colors. I don't know who did this paint job. But bless their hearts, it was obviously very discontinued paint.
More installments tomorrow.